Avalanche Center Forum Index Avalanche Center
Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ    LotteryLottery    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in  Gallery 2Gallery 2 
Moderation Policies           - RSS Feed 

UAV Avalanche Control

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Avalanche Center Forum Index -> Students, Careers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: UAV Avalanche Control Reply with quote

Ahoy all.

I'm a senior in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Utah. For my Senior Design Project, my team was thinking about making some sort of unmanned aerial vehicle designed to carry and release avalanche charges.

I was hoping to maybe get some input on this idea.

Of course the UAV would have to be lightweight and human packable. It would have to be able to operate at high altitudes. It would have to have live streaming video for control and proper release of the charge.

The purpose of this would be to keep avalanche control personal out of harms way when triggering controlled avalanches. Ski teams would hike to a vantage point, pull out the UAV, attach the charge, send it over to the site, release the charge, and fly back.

I know the design would be possible, but would it be feasible given financial constraints, complexity constraints, etc., for ski resorts/national parks to invest in something like this?

Any and all feedback/criticisms are welcome, thanks in advance!
AlpenPro

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should take a look at a project that was similar in nature but a different product idea:

http://www.schulich.ucalgary.ca/Civil/Avalanche/Papers/ConceptualProbeDesignEnci570.pdf

This was a feasibility study for a new snowpack data collecting probe that was a senior engineering project at the University of Calgary. The students started with interviews to determine and define needs, and then to learn about similar efforts to date. Then they determined that such a product was feasible within certain cost and weight constraints if certain approaches and parts were used.

In your case I don't know if there are many people to interview about any previous effort. You could interview avalanche control personnel in Utah to define the goals, there are plenty of people who I'm sure would be glad to talk to you. For information on the current capabilities of a UAV you could try tracking down somebody in the military, although the true state of the art may get into classified information.

A good place to start for some feedback on the idea as a project would be the authors of the above paper. They have Google email addresses on the paper so even if they have left U of Calgary you should be able to reach them. You could also see what Bruce Jamieson thinks of the idea as an academic project. He supervised the work in the above link and is very active as an adviser and faculty member as well as a researcher.

Good Luck!

Jim
Derek

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Please contact me about this...........my contact info can be found at www dot pitonproductions dot com on the contact page.
mikelangelo11

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its great looking Avalanche.For information on the current capabilities of a UAV you could try tracking down somebody in the military,although the true state of the art may get into classified information.
bouchermark654

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Loan Bad Credit Reply with quote

Want to earn money through share market, just join us and start earning money with the calls that we provide with an accuracy of 90%. For 2 Days Free Trial on Stock
=============
[url]=http://www.greatloanstoday.com] Loan Bad Credit[/url]
Ferrari

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: remote helicopter for AC Reply with quote

WSDOT is expermenting already see link
www.wsdot.wa.gov/research/reports/fullreports/703.1.pdf
guest 101

PostPosted: Feb 29, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: 50 cal for avalanche control? Reply with quote

does anyone have any input on wether or not a 50 bmg round would have an effect when used as direct fire to hit a slope and act as trigger for avalanche control?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Avalanche Center Forum Index -> Students, Careers All times are GMT - 7 Hours

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum